What’s the prize for this contest? ”Winners will receive social notoriety.”
That sounds great, right?
Actually, it’s pretty shitty. The CW is taking advantage of its fans, most of whom are not professional artists, to get free artwork. They’re using the promise of exposure to lure you to make art for them instead of hiring and paying actual artists.
I know what some of you are thinking. “I’m a nobody in the art world. I need exposure. This is a great opportunity for me. Stop being such an elitist, Euclase. Everyone should have a chance to get their work seen.”
Yes. And after your work gets seen, do the jobs come rolling in? Maybe, if you’re lucky. But what will definitely happen is that The CW will keep doing this. And so will other companies who think it’s okay to take advantage of its fans. If the CW wants artists, they should hire artists or license artists, not make up a contest to get art for free.
You can enter this contest, and you might win exposure now, but you won’t get any jobs later on because there won’t be any. Because every art job out there will be a contest that pays in “social notoriety.”
Ugh, I hate these contests. The reality of it is that no, the jobs will not come rolling in. You could literally make the BEST poster in the whole batch, win the contest, and get all the ‘publicity’, but the jobs will not come rolling in.
Because the people who might have hired you will see that you work for free.
At best you may get a few offers of extremely low prices, because you have already shown you were willing to give your artwork up to a massive company that could have easily afforded standard Designer rates for free.
(And I’m talking like, hey you want to illustrate a 28 page color children’s book for $50 offers here.)
More realistically, no one will care who made that poster. Artists don’t really get famous these days, and the professional illustration world is going to care much more about your style and portfolio than it will if you won this or that free art poster contests. If I were still in Highschool I’d have seen this contest and been excited, I would have imagined winning it would have been a feather in my cap, so trust me I get it. But unfortunately these are basically at best scams that usually have the grace to give you a pittance of a reward for the thousands of dollars they’re going to make off your artwork; this one doesn’t even do that. It’s a scam, through and through.
1. I’m apparently that person you go to when you need a bug removed.
2. I spend almost more time on soundcloud/bandcamp than on youtube.
3. I’m LESS obsessed with Hannibal than Liz believes I am. Tho the state of my blog lately is making me reconsider this statement.
4. I also can’t stop playing this one Marvel puzzle game thing. Ugh shit’s addicting. But hey, I’m at least doing pretty good and I’m a leader of an alliance and all of the members are really cool!
5. The name of the alliance is Ravenstag tho so please ignore #3
Hey you! Have you ever written a paper and thrown in a fandom reference under the radar, but wanted to do more than a little joke? Have you ever wanted to discuss big and little issues about fanfiction, but not really had anyone to talk to about it? Do you like listening to people talk about things they care about? Well! Maybe you should think about helping out this brand new podcast, AP Fanfiction!
The goal of this podcast is to critique, analyze, and discuss fanfiction and all its byproducts. It will be built on user-submitted short essays (5-10 minutes recorded, which can range from 800 to 2000 words) about a topic of the writer’s choice - the FRQs of our AP course - and 20 minute round table discussions on tropes, characters, fics, authors, AUs, social issues, and anything else relevant for the episode - the DBQs.
Example topics to write/talk about could be (but are not restricted to):
gender, sex, and identity in fic
character/trope discussion using fics as your sources!
The history of fanfiction
language in fic
UI design of archive sites!
personal stories about fanfiction and what it means to you
The other goal of this podcast is to be diverse in its opinions, its fandoms, and its contributors! So, if you have a topic you want to talk about for a few minutes, or if you want to debate other topics of importance with people like you, now is the time to get in on it! All skill levels are welcome. You can email email@example.com about what you would like to bring to the podcast, or send an ask here if it makes you more comfortable! Any level of involvement is all right as well - if you just want to write one or two essays about your favorite things, or if you want to be a regular member!
This is still in the budding stages, so any involvement on your part now would be crucial to its development. Don’t be shy!
so I’ve been planning this project with elany and others all day, and I’m actually excited about it! Signal boost for me!
I was just thinking about this the other day because I had an awesome question to ask but not like I remember it anymore. Anyway. Got tagged by clarity-of-the-vortex!
Rule 1: Always post the rules
Rule 2: Answer the questions the persons who tagged you came up with and write 11 new ones
Rule 3: Tag 11 people and link them to the post
Rule 4: Actually tell them you tagged them
1. If you knew that you could not fail, what would you do? I read that as ‘fall’ instead of ‘fail’ and was like “JUMP FROM RANDOM BUILDINGS!” but I guess not. Hm. I’m boring so I’d probably open a business. Or play lotto and then open a business. NO WAIT SCREW THAT I’D TRY TO MAKE AN ACTUAL LIVING POKEMON OFC
2. A gif that best represents your current mood/mental state?
3. Favourite everyday object? bed?
4. Choose a starter Pokemon (from any generation). hahahaha while on pokemon, huh? .D anyway, Charmander for life C:
5. If you could cuddle with any person in the world, who would you choose? oh shit. man. idk. i’d make a big pillow pile and invite all of my friends that live across the globe. yes that sounds perfect. we’d drink tea and tell terrible fandom jokes.
6. Your favourite sassy quote/gif/?
7. Whose fate would you change Rose Tyler’s, River Song’s, or Donna Noble’s? (If you do not watch Doctor Who, then answer whose of your favourite characters’ fate you would change.) Oh shit. Okay so I stopped watching at the beginning of Moff’s era so I haven’t seen much of River. But. I think Rose is…happy in her own way. Donna is probably too, but I’d ratehr change her faith so she could keep her memories. And preferably stay Doctor’s companion 5eva. Donna’s my baby, if you can’t tell by now XD
8. You have been chosen as the Ring Bearer. How will you get it to Mordor? Screw that shit I’m gonna stay with the elves in the last homely house. It literally says it all on the tin - Last Homely House. Why in the world would I leave. But shit I’d also want to explore so uhhhh idk man idk
9. If you could have any superpower what would it be? I’m a fan of Professor X. But also waterbending is cool. God I’m terrible I can’t give a straight answer to save my life.
10. Favourite place on Earth? Can I say in my car? My baby can take me to pretty much any place I would have said otherwise C:
11. Favourite smell? Okay this might sound weird but it’s this one fabric softener that somebody used and I never got to find out which one is it. Also freshly baked bread.
I’m once again not tagging anybody because dear lord I ran out of questions like 3 of these ago.
Yo! Okay so in one post you said you're willing to give people Wincest 101 and while I'm not sure how much of that you actually meant, well, here I am. But I pretty much just have one very specific question and uh, if I manage to say something offensive, please, do correct me, but I'm not trying to pick a fight or anything. So, here goes, I guess. Basically, a major theme in both destiel meta and fanfics is the whole "gay panic" trope, coming to terms with your sexuality, -->
fitting this new image of yourself within what you thought it means to be a “real man”(talking 102% about Dean here) and within the very macho,heteronormative hunter society. Or just your ordinary gay panic in case of AUs. My question is, how does that work with Wincest? It might seem a bit of a silly question, but personally, if I found myself having romantic feelings for my sibling,I’d panic about that a bit more than about them being the same gender. Or am I completely missing the point here?
Take off your jacket and have a seat, sweetheart, this may take awhile.